[vorbis-dev] Re: UCI Project Announcement

ChristianHJW christianhjw at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 16 01:53:03 PDT 2002

To : vorbis-devel
cc : uci-devel

<alex at foogod.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:20020924182614.K16854 at firestar.foogod.com...
> [...]
> The UCI system is intended to provide an interface which is both
consistent
> enough to allow easy ("plug and play") use of any codec by any
application,
> while being flexible enough to allow sophisticated use of specialized
codec
> features by applications designed to take more thorough advantage of
certain
> codec implementations, or even to allow the user to control codec features
of
> which the application itself may not be directly aware.  It is not tied to
any
> particular system or set of other libraries (such as graphical
environments),
> and is intended to be lightweight and as efficient as possible so as not
to get
> in the way of application/codec builders.
> We are interested in developing an interface which is well thought-out and
> meets all the needs of multimedia applications and codecs, both now and in
the
> future.  To this end, we are inviting (and encouraging) participation by
any
> and all current multimedia developers or other interested parties, to
provide
> input and feedback on developing UCI specifications, suggest features,
> contribute code, or simply keep up to date on the current state of the
project.
> UCI is an Open-Source, Open-Spec, Peer-Directed project.  Choice of
licenses
> and related issues are still somewhat under discussion.  Contributions and
> feedback in this area are welcome, as well.
> Everyone and anyone interested in contributing, knowledge, skills,
critical
> thinking, or anything else that might be useful to this project is
welcome!  It
> is our hope that through the participation of a range of contributors from
> various backgrounds, we will build a system which is useful and effective
for
> everyone's needs, and will significantly simplify the development of both
> platform-specific (linux, etc) and cross-platform multimedia software now
and
> in the future.
> Those interested in the UCI project should visit the project web page at:
>   http://uci.sourceforge.net/
> A public UCI-Devel maillist is open to participation by everyone.  To
> subscribe, point a web browser at:
> ..or simply send a subscription request to:
>   uci-devel-request at lists.sourceforge.net
> We also have an NNTP gateway, web archives, and an IRC channel on FreeNode
for
> discussing UCI development.  More details can be found on the main project
> page.
> Some basic specifications and documentation as to the current direction of
UCI
> development are available from the main project page.  Please note that
these
> "specifications" are preliminary and subject to change based on feedback
from
> the larger multimedia community.  If you see something that looks wrong,
> please feel free to contribute suggestions to the UCI-Devel maillist.
> Thank you all for your kind consideration,
> -alex

Anybody from the Xiph team care to comment on Alex' proposal ?

I seem to remember that Monty has stated on the theora list recently that he
is planning to create a new API for the project. Maybe worthwhile to check
UCI before doing so, could save you guys a lot of precious time i guess, and
would also be a big step into the right direction to help achieving a kind
of x-platform 'standardisation' for media handling.

Its maybe interesting to hear that the XviD team is discussing to drop VfW
and use UCI as main API, mainly because of constant incompatibilities
between all the supported APIs in XviD CVS.  Peter 'suxen_drol' Ross, the
man responsible for the XviD APIs, was suggesting this lately on xvid-devel
. There were even discussions between Alban 'albeu' Bedel and Alex about a
mplayer wrapper for UCI ( based on libmpc i guess ), Alex wants to do the
same for VfW.

I am posting this to vorbis-devel instead of theora-devel because it would
be a major boost for UCI if Vorbis had a UCI interface, so every Video
enoding app ( and also audio encoding app ) being able to call UCI codecs
could use Vorbis for the audio in the movies, same goes for theora and the
video of course. The variety of different media APIs is pain in the ass, and
its great to see people like Erik Walthinsen, the founder of gstreamer,
contributing to UCI, as well as people from the OpenBeOS world.

Thanks in advance for a short 'official' comment from Monty or Emmett .

Regards

Christian

http://uci.sourceforge.net

BTW : I sais this already on xvid-devel , although i am a strong supporter
of the idea behind UCI, the project is not at all related to MCF in any
form, both are completely independant.