[vorbis-dev] Peeling Specification

Alan MacDonald newslists at warpzillion.com
Thu Nov 21 01:08:17 PST 2002

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Alan MacDonald wrote:
>>Does it make sense to actually
>>use new codebooks, instead of just chopping off the finer values?
>
> That requires recoding, and is much more expensive compute-time wise.

More expensive than peeling, but not even close to the compute time
needed for full encoding.  (i.e. no transforms or masking calculations)

>>Or
>>are the codebooks structured in such a way that chopping a q10 stream
>>down to around q5 size, would yield about the same results as recoding
>>the residue values with the q5 codebooks?
>

> Nope.  That's why peeling doesn't work too well.

Ah. So peeling doesn't really live up to the hype?  Although, I think
any of the hype created has not been by xiph, but by others just
speculating.  Maybe it might be worth approaching this from two
directions.  Straight bit peeling for the streaming folks that can't
afford the CPU hit, and the new codebook approach for archivist that
like to encode at high quality, but would want lower quality versions
for portable playing (handhelds, laptops, etc).

I don't know, just some thoughts, is that feasible? good idea? waste of
time?

I'll be away for the next week, but would definitely be interested in
continuing this discussion when I get back.

Regards,
Alan