AW: [vorbis-dev] Chained streams and granule position

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Tue Nov 12 15:12:48 PST 2002

Hello Tor-Einar,

>> The intent of the design is that chained streams should be played
>> separately and in order. Streams to be played simultaneously (or
>> concurrently) should be multiplexed.

TEJ> What about three logical streams interleaved like this, where all
TEJ> streams start with a granule position of 0:

TEJ> ABABABACACAC
This bitstream is illegal. it should be ABCABABACACACB. Note that you
can't have a start page after a non start page unless it's a finish
page. And you have to have all the finish pages together. No start
pages before nor any page after. In other words.
S(x) means starting page, D(x) means no start nor finish, F(x) means
finish page.
Correct Ogg:
S(a)S(b)S(c)D(a)D(a)D(b)D(c)D(b)D(c)D(a)D(b)D(c)D(c)D(a)F(b)F(c)F(a)
Incorrect:
S(a)S(b)S(c)D(a)D(a)D(b)D(c)D(b)D(c)D(a)D(b)D(c)D(c)F(b)D(a)F(c)F(a)
                                                        ~~~
Incorrect:
S(a)S(b)D(a)D(a)S(c)D(b)D(c)D(b)D(c)D(a)D(b)D(c)D(c)D(a)F(b)F(c)F(a)
                ~~~

TEJ> each only one ogg page:

TEJ> AB

TEJ> Are these chained or interleaved?
Chained. You can't have multiplexed data with single page streams.
That's just concatenation. If only because of the rule about starting
a finishing pages. If you page is start and finish at the same time,
then it's a complete stream. You can't get smaller than that.

TEJ> Tor
Alejandro
PD: You never answered my last question about the JMF :-)