[vorbis-dev] Re: Speex: Open-source, patent-free speech coding

DSPguru DSPguru at math.com
Sat Mar 30 15:55:43 PST 2002

> I believe unvoiced sounds won't be a problem, but voiced sounds could
> (especially two simultaneous vowels at different pitch and very
> different LPC), but increasing bit-rate could still work.

that's exactly what i was afraid of. two voiced sounds with different
pitches.. :(
we need to test Speex behavior under this.

> I don't think this would work. Encoding one track with occasional
> double-talk would make sense (even if we need to triple bit-rate for the
> few double-talk instances), but continuous double-talk would cause too
> much problems.

okay, back to original plan.
btw, when you say "triple bit-rate", how much would that be.. ?

> it. Not sure whether it's good enough though. It has to do a perfect job
> if you don't want to end up with the problem I described above. So I'm
> not sure whether the project is feasible at all without access to the
> "original" common track.

there's a lot we can do.
we should take advantage of the following facts :
- we have several soundtracks that mostly differ in the speech, or in
other words (generally speaking) : spectral view mostly differs in 3 to
 6 formants.
- BEFORE we downmix the 6ch (5.1) soundtrack to 2ch, we can focus our
analysis on the _center_ channel on each soundtrack, which its nature
is speech content.

above all that, we should try to run ICA, kareoke, echo cancelling, etc'..

Dg. http://DSPguru.doom9.net