[vorbis-dev] What exactly is threadsafe

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Mar 28 23:34:53 PST 2002

At 12:20 PM 3/28/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks, and you were right, simply not doing the bitrate function saved 0 CPU
>as far as I can tell, and it didn't work (then vorbis_bitrate_flushpacket
>didn't every output anything) .
>
>I DON'T want to use ogg at this point, I just want a pure vorbis stream.  But
>vorbis_*_flushpacket always outputs an ogg packet.  Is there a way around
>this or am I just looking at stuff the wrong way?  Chris

The ogg packets are just the raw data, in a useful datastructure. You
can't directly get the data in any other form.

op->packet is the raw data, of length op->length. There are also
various other numbers and flags in there, of some interest.

If you don't use ogg (and you probably should), you need to provide
most of the information that ogg does in some other way - packet length,
EOS/BOS flags, granulepos values, and so on. It's a lot more work than
using ogg.

Michael