[vorbis-dev] Re: Speex: Open-source, patent-free speech coding

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Mar 28 21:26:22 PST 2002

>> - define Speex integration in ogg
>
>Could anyone tell me how to do that?

We could, yes.

You should probably read the ogg docs and figure out exactly how you
want to do things - I haven't read your documentation yet, so I'm not
sure what the best approach would be.

Basically, you want to split your bitstream into meaningful packets.
You should also define a short header packet, which identifies what
format this ogg streamis (Speex, in your case), and then adds any
basic information needed to decode (like the sample rate). If you have
a substantial amount of information neccesary (as vorbis does), then
only the basics should be in the primary header, other stuff should
go into a second header (the intention is to keep the primary header
small).

Then it's just a matter of actually writing the code to do this -
that's pretty easy once you've made the decisions on where to make
packet boundaries, etc.

Michael