[vorbis-dev] Re: Speex: Open-source, patent-free speech coding

DSPguru DSPguru at math.com
Thu Mar 28 11:27:09 PST 2002

Greetings developers, Jean-Marc,

Great to hear about your work. i find speech encoding pretty useful.

these days we think about MultiLingual vorbis defenitions, and the best
compression we could acheive were if we could save the common track on
two channels, and then save the delta between the common track to the
specifiec language (english speech/italian speech/etc'..) on a low
bandwidth track. a vocoder track for this task could be very
interesting. don't you think ?

another point,
I wanted to ask why you had decided to develop CELP, which is based on
linear prediction (LPC), while there are multi-band excitation (MBE)
speech coders (IMBE/AMBE) that have better compression-gain (down to 2kbps),
and consumes less MIPS. i heard some samples of DVSI's vocoders, and i
must admit that their quality is very very good.
LPC is abit old, isn't it ?-)

Dg. http://DSPguru.doom9.net