[vorbis-dev] alloca() problem with CodeWarrior

David Burnett vargol at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 17 06:48:42 PST 2002

>> I think Phil brings up some real good points about embedded systems --
>> given the nature of Ogg Vorbis, ease of porting to embedded systems
>> seems a worthy goal.
>
>Most embedded systems use gcc.  gcc has alloca().

One thing that has been missed in all this is that many systems limit stack.

BeOS (not embedded, but an example I'm familiar with) can't encode
in more than 32k chunks of PCM data. The amount of stack Elate
uses is dictated at compile time, the standard is 16k.

It would be handy to get rid of alloca in total IMHO.

Dave