[vorbis-dev] alloca() problem with CodeWarrior

Firelight Technologies support at fmod.org
Thu Mar 14 17:28:14 PST 2002

> Brian Hook wrote:
> >
> > > A lot of things are implemented incorrectly by compilers.
> >
> > True, and working around them is part of the art of writing portable
> > software.
>
> Not really.  If a compiler is buggy, the user should just use a newer
> version.  Only if *no* working compiler for a specific platform
> exists, should you try to work around it.  All this IMHO, of course.

Not very usable opinion, especially when you are writing code that is to
be used by the public.
I do the same thing, and part of the job of writing a library that other
people use is making it easier for them to implement it, therefore
earning more goodwill.
I agree with brian, if something didn't work on one pc out of a
thousand, I would try and work around it, rather than saying 'go fix it
yourself', or 'wait a year until the compiler manufacturer fixes it'.  I
code with compilers that barely have any support for C library functions
(i.e iop-gcc.exe :) ), so relying on them is something I avoid
personally.

Brett