[vorbis-dev] alloca() problem with CodeWarrior

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Thu Mar 14 17:11:42 PST 2002

> Not really.  If a compiler is buggy, the user should just use
> a newer version.  Only if *no* working compiler for a
> specific platform exists, should you try to work around it.

I guess I differ on that.  For example, some features in C++ are very
poorly implemented and relying on them might be ill advised.

> All this IMHO, of course.

Same here =)

> > That would seem to solve all the problems.
>
> No it won't.  It's quite hard to detect whether you have
> exactly that specific version of CW that's buggy, etc.  It
> *is* easy to detect whether alloca() is available at all, and whether
to include
> <alloca.h>, but that's a different problem.

I didn't mean "use Vorbis alloca() instead of the installed one when
it's not available", I meant "ALWAYS use Vorbis's custom alloca()
(ov_alloca()?) to minimize problems".

Brian