[vorbis-dev] alloca() problem with CodeWarrior

Phil Burk philburk at softsynth.com
Tue Mar 12 20:54:06 PST 2002

Thanks for the http://vorbis.com link. That worked. But I looked in the
download area and there is no SDK for Mac OS 9. So I am compiling the vorbis
code directly into my app.

The problem I am having now is that the CodeWarrior 5.0 compiler has a bug
with alloca(). It allocates the area on the stack but, under some
circumstances, it does not restore the stack pointer at the end of the
routine. You can imagine what happens next. This happens in
vorbis_lpc_predict(). I have tried different optimization levels, and tried
making arbitrary changes to the code to see if the compiler could be tricked
into compiling correct code but to no avail.

Question: does anyone have precompiled static libogg, libvorbis and
libvorbisenc for Mac OS 9 available?

My other alternative is to purchase a $700 upgrade to CodeWarrior
7.0.....Gulp.

By the way, if you are doing cross-platform audio, you might like PortAudio.
It's a free open-source cross-platform audio API. Visit
"http://www.portaudio.com/".

Phil Burk