[vorbis-dev] real-time encoder

Eric Liu eric_nzeds at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 6 03:12:46 PST 2002

Hi

As I have remembered Ogg Vorbis can be used in realt-time case. Is it true?

So  I have done some tests on those examples like encoder and decoder, all
work fine.
However, I found those examples are file based. That means all vorbis
engines are only
used for one file and then will be released when finished. when the program
exits, everything
relevant with ogg will be reset by the OS.

I am about to built my own application which can generate Ogg on the fly.
Prior to doing so, I have
done some tests. But I have encountered a problem with the vorbis lib. I am
not sure whether
or not it's a bug or my mistake.

Here is the simple code which generates unmapped memory exception:

int main()
{
    int i;
   for (i=0;i<3;i++) encode();
   return(0);
}

void encode()
{
/*copy and paste the code from main() of encoder_example.c except the return
clause*/
}

When i = 0, everything is fine; when i=1; an exception (unmapped memory
exception) is thrown from vorbis_info_clear(&vi).
I step through the debugger, I find the exception is from
_ogg_free(ci->mode_param[1]).

I can't see the reason for the exception. (my environmetn is Mac 9.04 and
CodeWarrior 7, the source code is from
RC3 check out. Actually I had done the same thing on Mac 9 and CW5 based on
beta 4 check out 3 months ago,
the result was the same. The same result can be obtained from MacOS 9.1 and
MacOS 9.21).

Could anyone give me a clue to fix it? or is it a bug?

Eric Liu