[vorbis-dev] vorbis-tools CVS

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Fri Jun 28 20:41:05 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 03:58:34PM +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > >2. ./autogen.sh should check for the presence of gettext. Without it,
> > >aclocal gives just a warning and ./configure fails with a cryptic
> > >error message.
> >
> > Autotools people, who wants to claim/fix this one?
>
> It's mine.  But I'll need an *actual* bug report, as as far as I know, it
> works fine.

I don't have enough full details to actually go put something up at
bugzilla and feel good about it, but here's a quick summary:

Debian unstable as of about 3 days ago, I think gettext-base was
installed, but definately not gettext. I think I recall it met the
build-deps, but don't quote me on that one.

aclocal failed with (recalling from memory here, so may be
inaccurate) a warning that a macro AM_something_GETTEXT was not found
in the library, but that message didn't make it immediately obvious
that it was actually an error that would make it crash and
burn. Indeed the rest of the maintainer autotools ran fine, but when
./autogen.sh ran ./configure, it errored out on the first AM_
macro. I dug around in the autoconf and automake configs for a while,
finding the minor bug that I gave that patch for in the process, but
when I looked back at that error and realized that I might not have
the full gettext installed since I had recently effectively
reinstalled, apt-get install gettext fixed it immediately. I was just
suprised ./autogen.sh didn't check.

If you really need the full texts of the errors, I can dig them up,
but I think that should be enough.

thx,

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>