[vorbis-dev] ogg123 crossfade

Paul Martin pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk
Tue Jul 30 00:52:00 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:24:34PM +1200, Ross Levis wrote:

> I think this is where you could make use of the initial volume of the
> incoming track.  If the levels are similar then reduce the crossfade
> time to say 0.25 seconds and bring in the new song immediately.

On "live" album tracks, with applause between songs, you need to fade
in (and out) the "live" track, as it otherwise causes the listener an
unpleasant surprise.

>  If the
> incoming is relatively quiet then allow the outgoing to fade longer
> before and after the incoming song has started.  Some ideas to think
> about anyway.

Not always a good idea. Do a slow fade into a track in a different key,
and you can have a period of dissonance.

> I like the idea of using Replaygain.  Have you implemented your routime
> into anything public?

Not yet. It's all "proof of concept" programs. I'm using an ogg-to-raw
decoder which understands replaygain playback levels (uses
ov_read_float() instead of ov_read() ). This feeds into a named pipe
(with buffering). Duplicate this for the new track. In the middle is a
small C program which does the actual cross-fading. Fade out points are
precomputed. The whole thing is controlled by a set of perl scripts.

--
Paul Martin <pm at zetnet.net> (work)
  <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> (home)