[vorbis-dev] ogg123 crossfade

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Mon Jul 29 16:57:08 PDT 2002

  Crossfading is complicated to do it properly.  A simple time period
crossfade sounds horrible most of the time.

You need to be testing the volume level up to at least 16 seconds in
advance of what is playing and bring in the next song when the finishing
song falls below a specific db level.  There is also an advantage in
testing the volume of the incoming song and using that intelligently in
the "when to crossfade" calculations.

It should also be able to specify the shape of the crossfade of both the
outgoing & incoming songs over time.

The only good crossfading engine I've seen is the SqrSoft crossfading
plug-in for Winamp.  Once something like this is available for Linux
I'll likely move my radio station PC to Linux.  I hear Winamp 3 will be
available for Linux one day.

Ross Levis.