[vorbis-dev] Accessing lower bitrates?

Frank Filipanits frank at lindenlab.com
Mon Jul 22 15:40:32 PDT 2002

Throughout the website there is mention of vorbis supporting very low
bitrates (down to 8kbps mono) but the lowest I am able to get the encoder
library to go is roughly 24kbits, which I get to by handing in an 11 kHz
mono wav into the encoder and asking it for a 16 kbit bitrate (asking for 8
kbits fails):

ret = (vorbis_encode_setup_managed(&vi,1,sample_rate,-1,bitrate,-1) ||
            vorbis_encode_ctl(&vi,OV_ECTL_RATEMANAGE_AVG,NULL) ||
            vorbis_encode_setup_init(&vi));

A 2-second input file yields a 6.5kByte file, which is 6.5/2 * 8 = 26kbit/sec

How do I get the encoder to go even lower?  I'd really like to explore the
absolute bottom of the available bitrates.

Thanks,
-Frank