[vorbis-dev] oggdrop with quality < 0

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Mon Jul 15 19:10:47 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 01:52:02PM +1200, Ross Levis wrote:
> Kenneth Arnold wrote:
> > Mode initialisation failed: invalid parameters for quality
> >              ^ - m-w.com doesn't have initialisation,
> >                      but it does have initialization
> >                  and that's how I've always seen it spelled
> >                  but that might be a matter of personal preference.
>
> The English spelling is "initialisation", but you Americans had to be
> different. :-)
>
> Ross.

Time was when the British thought they ruled the world....

A short dictionary query, m-w and a few others, confirms my suspicion
that the 'z' form is probably the more common use. Of course, that
string could be localized, and the Americanized version used just for
en-us :) Actually I think that'd be a good solution.
... but the guys in charge really have lots more important things to
worry about!

(Speaking of British, I was considering spelling 'spelled' as 'spelt',
but that could too easily confuse the non-native English speakers
reading the list.)

Anyway, sorta back on topic: will -q -1 (~40k) be the lowest available
bitrate/quality at 44.1k? And for the listening-testers: which sounds
better -- lowpassing at a little over 10k or downsampling to 22050kHz?
Intuition and a little math reasoning says the lowpass, but they might
be equal with a decent downsampler.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."