[vorbis-dev] Re: ogg123 1.0rc3 thread issue [FIXED] [#112]

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon Jan 21 17:30:02 PST 2002

Kenneth Arnold wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:09:06AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > > I'm suprised the SysV "threads" work on a BSD system better than POSIX
> > > threads.
> >
> > pth isn't "Posix threads", but "poor man's threads" ;-)
> >
> > BSD has better thread packages, it just happened to be broken on
> > OpenBSD 3.0
>
> That was exactly what I was referring to (I said explicitly "POSIX
> threads" instead of GNU pth which I had mentioned earlier in the email).

Oh duh.  I didn't read close enough.

The reason that buffer(1) helps here, is because it is a buffer.  The cpu
doesn't have to idle waiting for more space to become available, because
there is plenty.

I see no indications in either Christian's description or my personal experience
that would suggest this works any better then "real" threads.