[vorbis-dev] DVD Audio & Vorbis

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Thu Jan 10 16:25:43 PST 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Bryan Stillwell wrote:

> Any idea when vorbis will be able to support all 6 channels?

The vorbis format itself supports 6 channels.  The problem is mostly with
tools.  oggenc will accept 6 channel wav files, but ogg123 cannot reliably
playback 6 channel files on all devices (a limitation of libao).  In the next
month, I'll be getting some 6 channel hardware and will be able to test this
more thoroughly.

> If I could get the data off the DVD, what are my best options right now
> if I wanted to use ogg vorbis?  Is there a program which will sample it
> down to 44.1khz/16bit/stereo which I could then encode to ogg vorbis?

SoX is generally good for doing this sort of conversion.  I'm not sure how
good it will be at converting 6 channels to 2, but the downsampling should be
no problem.

---
Stan Seibert