[vorbis-dev] Major quality decrease in RC3 compared to RC2

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jan 6 14:54:44 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 11:37:26AM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > now that we have managed bitrates, I imagine it shouldn't be difficult to
> > build an ACM component that would work properly with AVI files, right?
> >
> > I realize the quality will suffer.
>
> That's the idea, although I'm not sure how CBR the acm codecs have to
> be.  Hopefully someone will give it a shot a report the results.

No, still just as difficult.  It's not the VBRness that is the major
factor, it's the fact that the Vorbis header packets don't produce
audio.  Every frame in an ACM codec must produce audio.

For example, the current ACM hack leaves off the header; it will only
work with a special encoder and a single special decoder.  They're not
actually real Vorbis files.

Monty