[vorbis-dev] Vorbis memory consumption

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jan 21 21:04:43 PST 2002

The modifications to reduce codebook memory usage are now on the
mainline.  Please test them.

The end result of the modification is reducing per-file memory
consumption about 56kB on a tupical rc3 file, more than halving
codebook memory usage.  The algorithm is no less effecient than the
old one, and the new decode method is slightly faster (fractional
percent) on PPC, perhaps even better on Intel due to less memory
usage.

The two biggest remaining points of memory usage are the window
function lookups and the decode final waveform buffer.  The first
could be eliminated entirely (but an easy reduction acheives most of
that result without modifying the API too badly). The second can be
eliminated at the expense of losing the ability to indefinately buffer
decoded samples in libvorbis.  I don't think any applications are
using this 'feature', but I could be wrong.

Removing those two remaining blocks will eliminate another ~90-100kB
of static buffers for per-file decode.

Monty