[vorbis-dev] Re: ogg123 1.0rc3 thread issue [FIXED] [#112]

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Mon Jan 21 10:35:04 PST 2002

Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:

> If somebody wants to run RC3 on OpenBSD 3.0 or earlier, building
> with pth will probably do.  In fact, I'll give this a try on 2.9/i386.

Well...

That OpenBSD 2.9/i386 box is a Pentium-100.  I'm told this is slow
nowadays.  Anyway, it does have enough cpu horsepower to play Ogg
Vorbis files, and with the releases up to RC2 ogg123 worked fine
there.

(Actually it didn't.  Too often it would just stop playing while
it continued to decode.  Probably a race in the old shared memory
code.  I've always found the lack of use of semaphores suspicious
there.  But when it was playing, it was playing fine, with cpu to
spare.)

ogg123 build with GNU pth runs, but playing through libao's sun
module is choppy and halting (at 50% idle).  Unusable.

By contrast, "ogg123 -d raw -f - ... | pcmplay -" works reasonably
well, and with an instance of buffer(1) in between it works very
nicely.

 buffer is a two-process, shared memory buffering tool built with
 SYSVSHM/SYSVSEM.]

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de