[vorbis-dev] ogg123 bug

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Jan 12 02:20:20 PST 2002

Hi:

My friend found this vorbis rc3 bug.  He runs an automated ogg stream
which he listens to for long periods on end.  Apparently, after around 2
hours, ogg123 will start playing short snatches of white <?> noise during
the audio.  It's different every time it happens, but it will get into a
pattern of a few short bursts over a couple of seconds and stay in that
pattern until you kill the player (i.e. it doesn't get worse).  It is also
unrelated to the audio of the ogg stream (i.e. it doesn't get louder or
softer with the music).

He thinks that it begins at the start of a song, but couldn't sware to
that.

He is running ogg123 from the Debian unstable branch.  I think he also has
a CVS version at home that does the same thing, though his home system has
gone belly up at the moment so I can't confirm this.  He witnessed this
behaviour on two different boxes.  He is using the OSS output plugin but is
actually running alsa0.9.  The stream he listens to can be found at
http://bumpy.braille.uwo.ca:9000/egoplay.ogg (the material is pretty much
all 128kbps RC2).

I'll put this in the bug tracker in the next day or two.

Geoff.