[vorbis-dev] Ogg and Vorbis Frameworks on MacOSX

Steve Nicolai snicolai at mac.com
Tue Jan 8 02:03:58 PST 2002

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 08:37  PM, rinnan at mac.com wrote:

> Isn't there already an ogg quicktime plugin?  Do you mean to improve
> it?  That is something I would be very interested in.
Yes, he knew that, he just offered assistance to us,
the QuickTime component isn't finished.

> Is there someone here who could give some insight on how to approach
> getting ogg on an iPod?  I suppose I'd have to reverse engineer what
> they already have on there...
Here's what slashdot readers learned about the internals of the iPod.
<http://slashdot.org/articles/01/11/01/2028201.shtml>

The ARM chip used does't have a floating point coprocessor.  So
an integer version of Ogg Vorbis would be necessary.  Monty posted
a note Jan 4, giving the critical piece that needs to be written.

<http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/0059.html>

Then you need to convince Apple to build the decompressor into
their firmware (or do it yourself, it has downloadable firmware.)

Steve