[vorbis-dev] Major quality decrease in RC3 compared to RC2

Sven Over svenover at svenover.de
Sun Jan 6 09:08:03 PST 2002

Am Sonntag, 6. Januar 2002 17:39 schrieben Sie:
> > oggenc -b 128 -o joy_oggrc3.ogg joy.wav
>
> Bitrate management has changed in RC3.  Please repeat your test with a
> quality setting rather than a bitrate setting.  You will get what you were
> expecting with:
>
> oggenc -q 3.5 -o joy_oggrc3.ogg joy.wav

Yea, that definitely sounds better.

But - sorry for objecting your work - one thing is strange: the so-generated
ogg file sounds much better than the one I did before (using -b 128).
Nevertheless, the new one is a bit smaller in size. Or to put it the other
way round: "-b 128" gives you less quality at bigger filesizes than "-q 3.5".
That way I would say the bitrate-management in RC2 was more useable than the
new one. (Sorry.)

Let me render something clear just once again: I'm admiring the work of the
ogg vorbis team. I don't want to "complain" at all - I just try to be helpful
by giving you hints for possible improvements.

Anyway, thank you for the solution for my problem. I will now start again and
vorbize my whole cd collection.

Thanx again.

--
Sven Over
An der Stipskuhle 42                     svenover at svenover.de
44141 Dortmund          svenor at student.physik.uni-dortmund.de
Telefon: 0231-5648658                 http://www.svenover.de/

PGP: Public-Key-ID: F56F17C6                     Fingerprint:
B9 62 44 D4 AE 9E DE F6  88 C5 CD 67 73 7D 18 95  F5 6F 17 C6