[vorbis-dev] Adding RC3 support to GoldWave

Chris Craig chris3 at cs.mun.ca
Fri Jan 4 20:14:11 PST 2002

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> The file is called bitwise.c (no capital B).

Sorry, force of habit when typing e-mail.

> The constant is _not_ negative (-1 isn't part of the number
> token).  Yes, returning -1 as an unsigned is dirty.

Borland reports it as a warning.  Could -1L be used instead since a
signed long is being returned, or is that a cross-platform problem?

> Some other compilers warn _without_ it.

I did not know that.

> What's wrong with this?

Borland CodeGuard reports an access overrun of 4 bytes where it claims
only 3 bytes exist. :-)  I just wanted to make sure that returning a
pointer to an empty string is correct.

I take it from Jack Moffitt's reply that no one is having trouble with
the vorbis_encode_init() function?  For example:

vorbis_encode_init(&vi, 2, 44100, 96000, 96000, 96000);

always gives 200+kbps files, regardless what bitrate is used in what
parameter (max, nominal, or min), even in combination with -1 or 0.

Also, vorbis_encode_init_vbr.html needs some editing since it
mentions bitrates (probably copied from the other init doc).

Chris Craig
http://www.goldwave.com