[vorbis-dev] new vorbisenc behaviour

David Burnett vargol at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 2 05:26:55 PST 2002

>> > now gives me vorbis files that average around 325 - 350.
>This is to be expected. API additions mean that correct bitrates require
>minor (and very simple) changes to any encoder. For true-VBR encoding,
>there's a new init function (vorbis_encode_init_vbr(), I think) to use
>instead of vorbis_encode_init().

I know about the new API but the old API is still there and I would still
expect it to work as before, i.e. to quote the *RC3 oggenc code*

if(vorbis_encode_init(&vi, opt->channels, opt->rate,
                                              opt->max_bitrate>0?opt->max_bitrate*1000:-1,
                                        opt->bitrate*1000,
                                            opt->min_bitrate>0?opt->min_bitrate*1000:-1))

hould still give an encoded vorbis file with an average of around
opt->bitrate if the -q flag is not used.

If the new version vorbis_encode_init(...) is not a finished article then
fair enough, but if it is then approx_bitrate_to_vbr(...) is way out
with its approximations.

>For bounded bitrates, things differ a bit more - see encoder_example.c for
>what things should be like now.

Well bitrates are what its about, most people are used to encoding to
a bitrate rather than a 'quality'. For now I'll have to pick a few test pieces
and guess a few approximations myself ;-)

Dave