[vorbis-dev] Just to dispel any hopes -- RC3 really low bitrate

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jan 1 19:49:05 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 10:25:25PM -0500, Kenneth Arnold wrote:
> I've just done some rudimentary testing to see how Vorbis degrades at
> absurdly low bitrates without downsampling. In summary, don't hope for
> anything decent below -q 0 for now. I tried oggenc -b <bitrate> -M
> <bitrate> for the below and a few in between:

That's not quite the best way to do it; just -M with no -b will give
somewhat better results.  In rc4, -q with -M will be possible, and
this will be better yet.  Setting -b and -M to the same value will
cause far too much drastic hard limiting of the audio.  You want the
codec to be able to 'work ahead' and save up bits in the easy
sections; using -b says 'always use 'em'.

In any case, it's possible to go under 64kbps 44.1kHz stereo, but I
find the results harsh so the encoder is neither tuned for it, nor
intended to go lower.  I can provide some examples using the rc4
branch if you're curious; the effect is actually mp3proish as the high
end gets more and more synthetic sounding, as opposed to the near
total falling apart it does now.

Monty