[vorbis-dev] new vorbisenc behaviour

David Burnett vargol at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 1 07:46:52 PST 2002

Just got around to compiling RC3 under beos and came across an
anomaly when using managed bitrates.

I haven't changed the code for the beos encoder but I now get double
the bitrates so

vorbis_encode_init(&vi,mediaFormat.u.raw_audio.channel_count,(long)mediaFormat.u.raw_audio.frame_rate , -1, 128000, -1);

now gives me vorbis files that average around 325 - 350.

Is this now the correct behavior or is it a bugette.

I noticed that oggenc still uses bitrate * 1000 but
does not say it that is per channel or not.

P.S. The beos build is broken from the rc3 tarballs, basically the libtool
that gets built now says...

"I can't cope with undefined symbol so you can't have a shared library"

This means that libogg now only builds a static library in exchange for
libvorbisfile sucessfully building (again static only) rather than breaking like before.

Dave