[vorbis-dev] Slightly OT: Vorbis encoding benchmarks

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Tue Feb 12 19:27:56 PST 2002

[snip]

> Oh, and that's another thing -- we'd have to find a reference .WAV file
> for encoding.  Something REAL big and that is a worst case type
> situation.
>
> Brian

wouldn't a CD-sized .wav be enough to break anything that'd need to be
broken (to exhaust swapspace), or would we need to find a particular CD at a
particular setting?

I'd like to do it all in RAM (low chance of simultaneous writes interleaving
if you're using two procs to encode, which fragments the disk), but I'd like
to have an idea of how much memory (real or virtual) I'd need before taking
on, say, my four-track Gershwin CD.