[vorbis-dev] compressed audio tutorial - 2nd draft

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sat Feb 9 18:08:27 PST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:00:19AM -0600, Graham Mitchell wrote:
> Of course, with so many bands compressing the signal to death just to get
> an increased average volume for radio airplay, this may not be the case, but
> that's beyond the scope of the document.

That's another possibly confusing point -- the difference between
dynamic level compression and data storage stream compression -- that
you may want to address.

I'd also tone down the colloquial style slightly (though I think it's
good to have a more personal sort of writing as a contrast to all the
purely technical writing most people wading into audio compression are
exposed to. For example, "folks", which appears twice, is a word
generally restricted to regional dialect. It doesn't really bother me,
but I'd still suggest alternate wording for "folks" who are less
familiar with that regional style. Also, there are a few personal
comments (e.g. "... but I've never seen a report from anyone who could
hear any difference after quality 7.") that may cause some anxious
readers to question the validity of your claims (even though they have
strong backing elsewhere).

Good introduction otherwise.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>