[vorbis-dev] compressed audio tutorial - 2nd draft

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at gatwood.net
Fri Feb 8 00:58:49 PST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Lourens Veen wrote:

> "Special-purpose compressors (like flac) do exist, which were designed solely
> for losslessly compressing audio (...)"
>
> I don't really like this construction with do exist and which.

Agreed, that's a little cumbersome.  The simple fix is to drop "which were
designed solely", i.e. "Special-purpose compressors (like flac) do exist
for losslessly compressing audio..."

> really have a better solution for it. "There do exist special-purpose
> compressors (like flac), which were designed (...)" isn't any better. Maybe
> "Special-purpose compressors (like flac) which were designed solely for
> losslessly compressing audio do exist, but even they (...)". English isn't my
> native language though, so feel free to ignore this one.

That's pretty good, actually.  Alternately, something like "While
special-purpose lossless audio compressors such as flac do exist, even
they...."

Or possibly "While special-purpose lossless audio compressors do exist,
even they...."  And then in another sentence, "One example of such
compressors is flac."

David