[vorbis-dev] compressed audio tutorial - "major" update

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Sun Feb 10 20:15:07 PST 2002

> > I think the second diagram should not represent the samples as in a
> > bar chart, but as points (say 3 to 5 pixels in diameter). The reader
> > should still be able to see the sine wave they represent, and will
> > perhaps better understand that sampling in itself is "sort-of" a
> > lossy processus.
>
> I like the bar chart, gives a feel of the "slice of time" that is the
> sampling. Plus it shows stepping. Though perhaps it also could be construed
> as being "connected". How about discrete bars, or just the tops of the
> bars?

Dots are definitely not the way to go, because when sampled audio is played
back, you hear the sound at the sampled value for the entire 1/44100th of a
second that sample encodes, and then the next sample plays with no gap.  So
they should be connected, as well.  I like using bars because it also implies
a distance from the center, but I'll think about maybe just the tops of the
bars.

I'm slow with creating images, so this change would probably take me half an
hour.  If someone wants to do it for me and mail me the new PNG, I'll look at
them side-by-side and choose which is more pedagogically sound.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"Programming is forty percent perspiration, ten percent inspiration,