[vorbis-dev] Vorbisfile Linker Question

Marc Templin Marc at herinteractive.com
Thu Feb 7 10:50:40 PST 2002

I'm having some trouble getting vorbisfile to link into my project under Windows.  I downloaded all the source, and after re-compiling all the dlls and libs with my project's proper settings (Multithreaded, 1-byte alignment), everything works peachy when I use the dlls from the *_dynamic project files.  When I try to use the *_static .libs though I get the following linker error:

Linking...
MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCRTD.dll) : error LNK2005: _malloc already defined in libcmtd.lib(dbgheap.obj)
MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCRTD.dll) : error LNK2005: _free already defined in libcmtd.lib(dbgheap.obj)
MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCRTD.dll) : error LNK2005: _memmove already defined in libcmtd.lib(memmove.obj)
MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCRTD.dll) : error LNK2005: _realloc already defined in libcmtd.lib(dbgheap.obj)
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "MSVCRTD" conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
.\WinDebug/Game.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found
Error executing link.exe.

I've read some of the discussions on this issue before, and I made sure to check all the settings that have been mentioned (Single vs Multi threaded, Multithreaded DLL vs Multithreaded, alignment).  I'm confused as to why the dlls would work and the statically-linked libs won't.  It kind of worries me that there may be compatibility problems down the road that won't show up until the product is shipped or something.

I would expect the dynamic project and the static project to be as similar as possible, but there must be some difference I'm not aware of that is causing these problems.  Any ideas?

-Marc