[vorbis-dev] Documentation Suggestions

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue Feb 5 11:40:25 PST 2002

> I'm a developer for a game company and I'm almost done adding support for
> Vorbis to our game engine.

Does this mean we'll get to play Nancy Drew with Oggs playing? :)

> -> ov_read() wants to know if your data is signed or unsigned.  It would be
> nice if the comments told you outright that 8-bit PCM data is unsigned,
> 16-bit is signed (at least, as far as I could find in various specs).

Good suggestion.

> -> I spent a long time on linker issues and then crashing before I found one
> post that mentioned problems with the fseek wrapper in the default
> callbacks.  I set up a callbacks struct to use the standard fopen, fseek,
> etc, and the problems went away.

I wasn't aware of this.  Can you point me to the other email?

> -> If your music license specifies that the music on your CD must be
> inaccessible to the average user somehow, you can simply stick your custom
> header on a .ogg file, read that header in first, and then pass the slightly
> used FILE* to ov_open.  Vorbisfile doesn't have a problem with that at all
> (whether it's secure enough is up to you.  It is for me).

What a horrible license. :(

We've always told people they are free to do what they want in this
regard, although we don't really approve of 'helping' people lock music
up.

> -> If you're only playing one file at a time, and you encoded the file
> yourself from a single .wav, don't worry about the whole
> current_section-switching-formats thing.
>
> If any of these are not true for the general case, then feel free to correct
> me, but this is my experience trying to use vorbisfile to improve our game's
> audio system.

Thanks for this note.  It's most helpful.

jack.