[vorbis-dev] modifying comments in place

msmith at labyrinth.net.au msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Dec 15 22:57:47 PST 2002

> Does a description or API of in--place editing and updating of
> comments exist?

There is currently no API to do so. vorbiscomment (i.e. the portable core of
vorbiscomment, vcedit.[ch]) will probably eventually be extended to do
in-place editing of comments for the cases where it is possible.

Note, however, that it often isn't. If the total length of the comments
decreases, then you can only do it in-place if you add padding (which is
possible, but often undesirable). If the total length _increases_ (probably
more common), then you cannot do it in-place at all unless padding already exists.

Future vcedit changes will be capable of using padding, but will only leave
padding (and create new padding) when explicitly requested (i.e. the default
will be to NOT have any padding in the resulting file). I don't intend to do
this particularly soon, though - in-place editing is a fairly minor issue, and
I have many other things I'd rather spend my time on.

Mike