[vorbis-dev] Re: xml-like streams in Ogg.

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Dec 30 15:32:59 PST 2002

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:14:55AM +0100, ChristianHJW wrote:

> "Petr Tomasek" <tomasek at etf.cuni.cz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:20021229163741.A25766 at ebed.etf.cuni.cz...
> > Hello!
> > I've played in the last couple of days with an idea of having (binary)
> > 'xml-like' streams in Ogg. This would make possible having metadata:
>
> http://sf.net/projects/ebml
> http://matroska.org
>
> Sorry for the 'advertising' on a list with similar goals, but our project is
> more or less doing exactly what you propose ....

No, Matroska makes binary XML the entire container transport mechanism
(at least, that's the way your description reads).  He's talking about
an XML logical stream type, which is the way Ogg will approach it.

We've been looking at XML or a subset like RDF for at least four years
now.  Every time someone gets seriously into the planning stage, they
lose ability or interest in continuing and walk away. This is not a
new idea; no one has yet demonstrated the staying power to actually
make it happen.

If you're not allergic to work, this is a very large, very important
task (arbitrary, streamed metadata).  It's not as large as it used to
be; there are now a few different tried and true
standards/implementations ot choose from.  At worst, you'll likely
have to oversee adapting a suggested schema and maintaining the Ogg
stream mapping def for it.

Monty