[vorbis-dev] Re: Feedback on Ogg Speex file format

Jeffrey Bridge jeffrey+vorbisdev at firehead.org
Wed Aug 14 09:32:24 PDT 2002

> > speex_string field must contain the ``Speex   `` (with 3 training
> > spaces), which identifies the bit-stream.
>
> Why the 3 spaces?

I would guess to round it out to a multiple of two (eight bytes, 64
bits). That way you can load it in a struct as a long long, and
mathematically compare it against a constant, all in one operation.
Sure, you could do it as five bytes, but that takes more work and may
misalign later parts of the data structure (not sure how important that
is).

~jeff