[vorbis-dev] [fwd] CVS: ogg123 rocks! vcut no so much so...(from: wayfarer42@postmaster.co.uk)

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Sun Aug 4 07:00:45 PDT 2002

On 2002-08-02, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> > As Segher once pointed out, unix tools need no playlist support:
> > ogg123 `cat playlist` does the job (unless you spaces in file names, I wonder
> > why bash has no split-by-lines command substitution variant...).
>
> Because we already have "xargs" to handle cases like that ;)

True, and xargs also solves the length limit mentioned elsewhere...
However sometimes want them all in on one line (Ctrl-C will behave
differently with xargs vs. single ogg123, I think).

> p.s.  Please remember that ogg123 is a program to _play ogg files_; it's
> not a
> "music manager" or whatever.  Heck, it can't rewind or fast-forward or
> basic things like that ;)

Now that *is* a problem.  Unix lacks some means/tools to make seekable
pipes (probably because they don't solve it elegantly anyway) so all such
features go into monolithic players you can no longer combine from the
prompt...  Something like:

$ find <some-criterions> | plargs /dev/tty oggdec | aoplay

or similar, where plargs would be the interactive version of xargs that
allows skipping the playlist forward and backwards and even allows seeking
(by passing stdin commands to the player or by restarting it with +OFFSET
argument, or something else...), would be very nice...