[vorbis-dev] integer decoder

Ian Walters ianw at trolltech.com
Wed Apr 10 01:51:56 PDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 3:47pm, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> In October, Russel King wrote:
> > > Is anyone working on an Ogg Vorbis decoder that uses only integer
> > > arithmetic?
> >
> > I'm currently working on converting libvorbis to fixed point
> > arithmetic.  I've managed to get all the decoding after the MDCT
> > reverse transformation into 24-bit fixed point, including the
> > windowing.
>
> Any progress?

And on this topic, I might nudge for a fixed-point encoder as this would be
far more advantages to Ogg-Vorbis (well, as a pair).

Could really storm the handhelds market with a free format like this, encode
your ogg-vorbis directly and what-not.

Ok, I realize this sounds like a car-salesman speil, but as soon as there is
a usable fixed-point ogvorbis encoder/decoder, I would like to wrap it into
an app for the PDA market, specifcally for recording.  mp3 isn't really an
option for all the obvious reasons and there isn't anything else.  Lets storm
the pda user base huh?  Then when its firmly there, the main stream might see
how much more sense it makes then mp3.

Thanks for your time, You are all great, keep up the good work....

Ian.