[vorbis-dev] Porting Vorbis lib on Ti DSP ? How to ?

gcouriot at free.fr gcouriot at free.fr
Tue Apr 9 04:10:45 PDT 2002

Hello All,

I would be very interested to have your ideas to port the vorbis lib ( part of
lib at least) on a DSP TMS320C5409 (running @ 90Mhz).

I have reviewed messages and URLs related to:
- 'ivdev' Integerized Vorbis Project
- Ogg-on-a-Chip Project

This is very interesting. In my case I think the best approach
would be , in order to shorten porting work & time,
to recompile the original library. Will it be really possible without too
much painfull work ?

Does any body have ideas of how to do that and about benchmarks for mips and
memory on embedded platform ?

What I see for straight data format assignement :

                Standard C	C54x Compiler
char		8b		16b
short,ushort	16b		16b
int,uint	32b		16b
long,ulong	32b		32b
float		32b		32b
double		64b		32b
long double	64b		32b

So I will have to do int(std C) -> float ( DSP C)
double(std C)  -> float ( DSP C) or even create special routines to handle
bigger data ( 64 b).

For benchmarking, I have seen:

> Actually, we have a integerized version of the vorbis libraries that are
> available, royalty free, with a simple attribution requirement. These
> libraries are 100% C code and run faster than real time on a cirrus
> 7312-74mhz processor (arm core). My guess is they should run at about
> 20-30% cpu utilization on a strongarm/200. M

It should be possible to achieved that at 90Mhz.
Hopefully that worst time  consumming routine will fit in 32 K Word (
code+data+stack+const)

Any suggestions welcome !