[vorbis-dev] Re: Speex: Open-source, patent-free speech coding

Eric Scheirer eds at media.mit.edu
Mon Apr 1 13:29:19 PST 2002

Hi Kevin, Jean-Marc, all --

I've been following this thread with great
interest, since object-based coding is one of my
research interests.

If we're thinking about creating Ogg encodings for
Speex and for describing language-specific mixing, it
would be very interesting to go one step further and
create a full-fledged just-in-time audio mastering
capability like the one in MPEG-4.

What this could consist of would be a set of header
instructions that describe the number of tracks in the
file and the way they get mixed together.  Using a
simple DAG structure with the right set of nodes can
be both straightforward to implement and allow a lot
of very interesting functionality -- not only multilingual
soundtracks, but interactive ones where the author can
permit (or not, if she chooses) dynamic remixing.

I wrote a paper on how this is done in MPEG-4, where
it's called AudioBIFS (BIFS is "Binary Format For Scene
Description"):

  E. D. Scheirer, J. Huopaniemi, and R. Vaanaanen,
  "AudioBIFS: Describing Audio Scenes with the MPEG-4
  Multimedia Standard."  IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
  1:3 (Sept. 1999), pp. 237-250.

It's on my WWW page at http://web.media.mit.edu/~eds/papers/
if someone's interested.

I'd love to help design this as an optional capability or
extension to Ogg and Vorbis and Speex if there are other
interested people that want to work on it.  I already have
public domain source code for the MPEG-4 version.  (And
the technology is free and clear of patents, too).

Best to all,

 -- Eric

----
Eric D. Scheirer, Ph.D.