[vorbis-dev] Re-encoding digital broadcast to Ogg?

Simon Wood Simon.Wood at pace.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 02:48:05 PDT 2002

I think everyone here will appreciated that re-encoding an already encoded/
decoded audio track is a bad idea and can create pretty bad artefacts in
recording.

Whilst watching 'Later with Jools Holland' last Friday, India Arie gave a
very good performance which I thought I would have been good to keep, I then
realised that since I was watching via digital TV that this audio will have
been encoded and decoded already.

As the decoder (set top box) is self contained I have no access to the encoded
data, best I could do is pick up the PCM to the DAC at which point it is
too late. I guess for un-encrypted channels you could also pick up the
transport stream from the tuner, but that's getting far too involved.

As the world progresses into digital broadcast, does this mean that we'll
be lumbered with whatever the original compression method is?

Does this mean that some form of rudimentary copy protection can be implemented
by encoding in a peculiar way so that if the audio is re-encoded it will
result in a bad quality recording?

Simon Wood