[vorbis-dev] Ogg as container format

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Fri Sep 28 17:55:53 PDT 2001

Chris Hanson wrote:
> I know a ton of the CODECs that ship with QuickTime are patented.
> What part of the QuickTime file format is patented?

Straight from the QTFileFormat.pdf:

        No licenses, express or implied, are
        granted with respect to any of the
        technology described in this book.
        Apple retains all intellectual
        property rights associated with the
        technology described in this book.
        This book is intended to assist
        application developers to develop
        applications only for Apple-labeled
        or Apple-licensed computers.

Now, this doesn't say that the Quicktime file format _is_
copyright or patent encumbered, but it doesn't give us good
hopes for the opposite, either.

Segher