[vorbis-dev] Ogg as container format

Lasse Kärkkäinen / Troni tronic2 at sci.fi
Fri Sep 28 10:59:20 PDT 2001

Hi!

I can't say that I would have been too active on this list, but I
couldn't go without noticing your chat about container-formats. I
guess many people on this list are not reading Tarkin-dev, where I
posted this before:

--
I have been developing high-end video-container (format), called TMF.
You might want to check it out. I'd like to know if it would be

I never got any replies though.

Since I don't know much about internals of Vorbis/Tarkin. It would
probably be best to put those into TMF as bare-bones -versions (does
TMF has all the required structures?) and not wrapped into Ogg. The
reason why I prefer TMF over AVI or Ogg is that it is higher level
format; everything is standardized to avoid incompatible variants of
it and to allow all players to support all (important) features.
Since it's not IFF-like, specific stuff can be easily found, without
reading thru the whole file.

Oh, no need to worry; it supports custom datatypes too, if someone,
for some reason, wants to implement something really weird (and can't
convince me or who ever is taking care of the format at that time).
Players will naturally just skip unregonized stuff (and optionally
inform user about it).

Naturally it is not patented or anything like that; it is free to
read/write/modify or do anything to TMF-files and the specification
will always be freely available on the web. Changes to specification
must be suggested for me and I'll implement them or possibly ask for
opinions of the community. That is the only way to keep the integrity
high.

More info at http://solidhardware.com/sn/tmf/