[vorbis-dev] [Newbie] getting up to speed

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Sep 25 15:40:43 PDT 2001

At 12:46 PM 9/25/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I've just started looking into using Ogg Vorbis for our streaming audio
>needs.  We're doing games for MacOS, OS X and Win32.
>
>So far, after wading through the docs and sample code, I think I have a
>reasonably solid idea of how it all works.  Now some questions:
>
>- currently my code is architected with a separate audio thread
>responsible for decoding chunks of compressed audio on demand ("Demand"
>== notification from the audio layer that it will need new data fairly
>soon, e.g. using notification handles in DirectSound).  Does this seem
>reasonable?

Yes. In terms of how and when you feed data to the vorbis library and
get decoded audio back, the API is pretty flexible. Shouldn't be a problem.

>- The prepackaged Win32 libs are compiled with "multithreaded DLLs"
>instead of static libs.  Is it fairly trivial to get the latest tarball
>and recompile for static linkage of the CRT DLLs?

Chris Wolf has improved the win32 build stuff recently, so this should be
even easier now. Shouldn't be a problem - I always used to use full static
linking where possible.

>- Have people had much success getting Ogg Vorbis to compile and run
>cleanly on MacOS 8/9 and MacOS X?

I don't personally use them, but I know people regularly compile everything
on these platforms. Some of the examples may be a bit harder, but the core
libraries don't have any problems at all.

Michael