[vorbis-dev] Examples now take file name arguments

Chris Wolf cwolf at starclass.com
Sun Sep 16 09:48:53 PDT 2001

On 9/15/2001 at 7:34 PM xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:01:18PM -0700, Chris Wolf wrote:
>> I added support for supplying file name(s) in the command line for i/o
>in the examples
>> in "vorbis/examples".  If no arguments are supplied, then the current
>> filter pipline mode (stdin/stdout for i/o) is used.
>
>I really prefer the examples are not 'improved upon', and if they are,
>not by means of features.  They're not production code.  They're
>examples, intended to illustrate most compact possible working
>implementation.
>
>> The primary reason for this, is to be able to run these in a debugging
>session.
>
>VC++ doesn;t let you do that?  (GDB certainly does).  If not, why not
>debug using oggenc?

Yep, I know gdb does, and sdb and xdb...
Actually, I just went back and tried it again, and in fact, you *can* redirect
stdin/stdout in VC++.  The reason I assumed you couldn't is -- that I had
remembered a problem with debgging and reading from stdin, plus there
were some reports of problems recently on the list, which I can see now
was operator error, and my memory was
about a different project, using a different debugger.  I'm still coming up
to speed with the whole Visual Studio thing, sorry.

I can see now that this is a feature not really required.  I can roll back
the changes and modify the test script -- no problem.

>> Additionally, in the encoder example, instead of a hard-coded "data"
>chunk offset
>> of 44, it finds the chunk regardless of the exact position.

Most of my WAV samples are generated with the newer header, so I did
this to accomodate that, it's a pretty bare bones -- 10 lines as  opposed to 1
line (if you don't include error checking code),  keeps me from having to hunt
for old wav files.  I would hope that if I roll back the command line file name feature,
that we can keep this (slightly) more general header-skipping code.

How about if I roll back the command line arguments feature, but leave the
slightly modified wav header code?  Or roll back both -- your call.

I certainly agree, now, that the command line arg stuff is superfluous.

Sorry about the trouble.