[vorbis-dev] Problems with vorbis sdk

Hervé Thouzard hthouzard at rsi.fr
Thu Sep 13 05:27:44 PDT 2001

John,

> Perhaps I can make up for my hijack :-)
may be...

> "Yes" doesn't seem a very informative response?
No. ;-)))

> That's because you are a
> Windows user - you've been coddled :-)
not really.

> CVS is a version control system  - an essential tool when several remote
> people are programming on a particular system. And there seem a number of
> remote people programming Ogg Vorbis (very remote people :-) This
particular
> system is from an outfit called Concurrent Version Systems and (as far as
> can see) you have to go through this to get at any source code. I don't
have
> the URL on hand at the moment but a search (I used Google) will find it.
On
> their web site you can download CVS and several pages of 'help'. I hope
you
> aren't paying UK phone rates :-)

About CVS, I know what it is as I am, too, a Linux user.

> You'll need to do some reading and make a start on the CVS learning curve
> before you do anything else. Once you have installed the CVS, go on line
> (IE) to your home site (or whatever) then kick up WinCvs. You will need to
> enter some Linux type rubbish
> (:pserver:anoncvs at xiph.org:/usr/local/catroot - make sure you don't miss
the
> colon after org) establishing the 'CVSRoot' and a password - anoncvs. Then
> you need to know which 'module' you want to access - and select this from
> one of the CVS menu items.
>
> There is a page on the xiph.org site ('naming' I think) which explains
some
> of this and outlines the available modules.
>
> I understand the necessity of such a system for uploads and version
checking
> between programmers. Why its necessary for downloading - for those of us
who
> just want to have a look at the latest available - I really don't know.

I agree, there should be, somewhere, a full version to download, up to date
or may be, like with sourceforge, a CVS you can browse with your favorite
internet browser. I don't know WinCvs.

>I think its to do with the Linux frame of mind..
I don't care about Linux and/or Windows like Chris Wolf perfectly summarized
what
I also think. This will be my last comment and email about this. I just want
to use
the vorbis sdk :

Here is Chris comment :

"Also I would not waste time debating command line vs. windows, or windows
vs. UNIX,
since the main goal here is to evangelize Ogg/Vorbis, not any specific OS --
we should try
to accomodate both. I personally prefer UNIX and command line tools, but
wouldn't expect
the average end PC user to have the same sentiment.  However, I would like
to see the average
PC user switch from mp3 to ogg, so I think it's important to support ogg on
windows."

Bye,
Hervé