[vorbis-dev] Problems with vorbis sdk

John Denton dentons at onetel.net.uk
Tue Sep 11 00:18:07 PDT 2001

Hi,

In similar vein - also a newbie - I'm having problems with the simple
encoding example included with the RC2 issue..

I'm using a Borland compiler and have been through the normal procedure to
convert the libs. Using the same procedure I have working front-ends for the
Lame dll and others.

The first thing which threw me was the use of stdin and stdout for i/o - I
haven't seen anything like this for years and had to search the loft for a
DOS (3!) book to figure out how to use the thing when I'd compiled it! This
is not Win32! Every attempt to change to more normal streams ends in an
access violation at the call to vorbis_encode_init - that doesn't seem to
make any sense at all to me, but it happens, every time.

Using the example as is, with a command line something like

    Project1 < c:\\temp\\test.wav > c:\\temp\\test.ogg

results in an Access denied error! Sometimes the dest file is created but is
zero length.

In passing - I may be being a bit thick - what is the intended difference
between the dlls and those suffixed d, for example ogg.dll and ogg_d.dll?

Any suggestions appreciated.

J.