[vorbis-dev] oggmerge working, Ogg MIDI is here

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Sep 3 17:33:55 PDT 2001

Ok guys, I just committed the Ogg MIDI code to ogg-tools/oggmerge.

You can now make synced vorbis+midi Oggs, but there is (not yet anyway)
a tool to play such files.

Have a look at the code, and let me know if you see anything major.
Adding new media types for merging should be trivial, and you already
have two examples (the vorbis one is VERY simple and the MIDI one
is much more complicated) to help.  Ralph should be finishing his MNG
packetizer soon.

Things to think and do:

- add .wav and .aiff support from oggenc straight into oggmerge
- MNG support (first Ogg movies coming soon!)

Impact on decoders in the wild:

These files break all known vorbis decoders.  Vorbisfile and the
examples should be updated to handle substreams without barfing, and we
should heartily encourage software developers to expect this kind of
data.

I have no idea if anyone will use Ogg MIDI but my client, but I'm sure
many people will be using Ogg with MNG and metadata streams.

We're one step closer to The Dream That Is Ogg.

jack.